Powerup Pete

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Unreal (1998) #509
    Up
    1
    ::
    Powerup Pete
    Participant

    A link to a short video where I boot up Unreal with a voodoo 3 graphics card.
    Booting Unreal in win98 with 3dfx
    The game really looks great. And it also supports EAX. You can simulate it on modern computers with alchemy.
    The graphics, the music and the lighting all together make for a great atmosphere. It definitely looks a lot better than Half Life or Quake II.

    I prefer playing Unreal on my retro setup. Looks way better. Modern screens make the game too bright in my opinion.
    There is a patch: old Unreal which also tries to make Unreal to the way it was on modern pc’s.
    https://oldunreal.com/
    You can freely download the game from this site and apply the patch. I think it’s all legitemate.

    in reply to: How we pick games for the next quarter #503
    Up
    0
    ::
    Powerup Pete
    Participant

    Thanks for your answer.
    I think I might follow this one along.

    The link you shared doesn’t work for me.
    I get the message ‘the page could not be found.’

    in reply to: How we pick games for the next quarter #501
    Up
    0
    ::
    Powerup Pete
    Participant

    How can we see what the next game will be in the windows game club?

    in reply to: Ultra Magnus – My Win XP Build #474
    Up
    0
    ::
    Powerup Pete
    Participant

    Apparently DirectSound3D isn’t quite as good as the older audio accelerators.

    Really? Didn’t know that.

    The hardest part for me with the audigy 2 was installing the drivers. The video mentioned below helped me on the way. There was some specific order I had to follow to get it working.
    Is the Audigy 2 ZS the best Sound Card for Windows 98?

    in reply to: My retro builds – original and after-the-fact #470
    Up
    0
    ::
    Powerup Pete
    Participant

    Thanks for the tips guys.
    If I get USB working would definitely improve the user experience.

    in reply to: Ultra Magnus – My Win XP Build #466
    Up
    2
    ::
    Powerup Pete
    Participant

    I also have a pentium D. I remember it got bad reviews back in the day. It would be the first dual core processor but very ineffecient for some various reason.
    I found mine last month in the attic completely disassembled.
    As I had to much free time on my hands, I decided to assemble it again.
    it was a Pentium D 830, 2GB RAM, Geforce 6600 GT installed with windows XP.
    After testing the system, I was pleasantly surprised. It ran games as F.E.A.R., Oblivion and Stalker very decent.
    I got some more appreciation for the pentium D than back in the day.
    Anyway, because I still had enough time on my hands, I decided to do some upgrade.
    First, I added a sound blaster audigy card to enjoy EAX 4.0. it’s a nice addition in games like F.E.A.R. and Stalker.
    Next, I replaced the Geforce 66OO GT by a Radeon 4670 graphics card. This upped my average fps in FEAR from 40 to 85. Not bad. 😉
    The final small upgrade is still underway. I will change the processor to a pentium D 945. It runs on 3,4 GHz instead of 3 and it is more power efficient than the 830.
    All in all, a very nice xp gaming machine than can run a lot of games with a more than acceptable speed.
    The resolution I play in is mostly 1024 x 768 or 1152 x 864.
    to summarize, my current xp build:
    – Pentium D 945
    – 2 GB RAM
    – Radeon HD4670
    – Sound Blaster Audigy 2

    in reply to: My retro builds – original and after-the-fact #465
    Up
    0
    ::
    Powerup Pete
    Participant

    I love playing retro games on my athlon 600 pc. It is equipped with a voodoo 3 2000 and a sound blaster live card. It has 384 MB of RAM installed.
    Most recently I also bought a Iiyama Vision master pro 1413 CRT monitor. I have to say that it takes a bit of time to get used to again. It needs way more tinkering with the settings than an lcd and the screen can sometimes be too dark.
    The computer is installed with Windows 98.
    The computer is not connected to the internet and I’m always hassling with CD-RW discs to move mods or patches from my modern pc to the retro pc. 😀
    I’m very happy with this build and enjoy playing it as long as it lasts.

    in reply to: Strategies and Tips #411
    Up
    1
    ::
    Powerup Pete
    Participant

    Ok. Sorry for my weird post. Auto spelling worked against me. 😅
    But I think you get the point.
    I should play some more to give a more in depth review.
    But initially I really enjoyed it with a wheel. Configuration of the wheel went really easy.

    Tip: keep the keyboard close if your wheel doesn’t have enough buttons.

    A quick search told me the MS precision wheel has a rotation of 270 degrees.

    in reply to: Strategies and Tips #410
    Up
    1
    ::
    Powerup Pete
    Participant

    I just played 2 missionaris using a Microsoft precision racing wheel. I played it on an athlon 600 with windows 98.

    Felt fun to do a car battle with a wheel.
    Ik los good to keep the keyboard close because my wheel doesn’t have enough buttons.

    in reply to: Strategies and Tips #373
    Up
    0
    ::
    Powerup Pete
    Participant

    Is anybody playing it with a steering wheel?
    I played it for a short while with steering wheel.
    Felt really immersive.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)