dr_st

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: My retrobuilds/PC gaming corner #556
    Up
    0
    ::
    dr_st
    Participant

    I love the theme of that pic. Doom for all generations! πŸ˜›

    There was a brief period of time, maybe some 20 years back, when I had two DOS machines connected in LAN. I was excited that I can play multiplayer Doom. But in the end I didn’t get to play more than a couple of times, at best. The world has moved on at that point. πŸ˜€

    Nowadays if I want to do some DOS LAN gaming, it is easy to do via DOSBOX IPX over TCP/IP emulation. I have a friend with whom we play Duke Nukem 3D from time to time.

    in reply to: Get it on OldUnreal.com #551
    Up
    0
    ::
    dr_st
    Participant

    Nice! They also offer full installers for UT and UT2004. Somehow for UT2 they only offer the demo and patches. Maybe EPIC won’t look the other way on UT2 yet. πŸ˜›

    in reply to: Reviews of XP, Circa 2001 #535
    Up
    1
    ::
    dr_st
    Participant

    The one from PCWorld is actually a contemporary review for XP’s 25th anniversary.
    Windows 8.1 is an odd beast. On the one hand it is like a service pack for Windows 8, and you could even upgrade it in-place through the Microsoft Store. On the other hand, Microsoft bumped the minor version number from 6.2 to 6.3, to make it look like a bigger change. No idea why someone would keep running the non-8.1 version, but maybe there are reasons. Some folks prefer XP SP2 to XP SP3. Apparently it works better on older systems.

    in reply to: Unreal (1998) #510
    Up
    0
    ::
    dr_st
    Participant

    Great timing, since I’ve casually started playing the original Unreal some time within the past year. I would love for an excuse to crunch down and finish it. πŸ˜€

    in reply to: The Curse of Monkey Islandβ„’ (1997) #485
    Up
    0
    ::
    dr_st
    Participant

    Hey, I’ll support that. I also have played only the first two games so far. This will give me reason to play the third one (and maybe later ones too).

    in reply to: My retro builds – original and after-the-fact #471
    Up
    0
    ::
    dr_st
    Participant

    If I get USB working would definitely improve the user experience.

    Oh, absolutely. I use USB flash drives on my Win98SE build, and even though it is just 1.1 speeds, it is still awesome for the convenience.
    Years ago it was connected to the LAN, but as was said – it is a hassle to get sharing working between old and new systems nowadays. Besides, there is no longer a convenient Ethernet connection next to it, and WiFi on Win98SE is finicky.

    in reply to: My retro builds – original and after-the-fact #459
    Up
    1
    ::
    dr_st
    Participant

    All on rotational HDDs. I will keep them while they last and then consider the options. Some inherited the old drives of systems upgraded to SSDs/faster drives. Most of the systems are used infrequently, so the drives seem to be holding on OK. *knocks-on-wood*

    E.g., the drives that are currently in the XP desktop are those originally bought with the Vista system (late 2008, IIRC). The original drives from 2004 are long gone. The Vista system had been upgraded to newer, larger, maybe slightly faster drives many years ago. Now that it’s running Win7, if a drive ever needs replacement, it will probably be replaced with an SSD.

    in reply to: Windows 3.x gaming #452
    Up
    0
    ::
    dr_st
    Participant

    Other than the built-in Windows games (Solitaire, Minesweeper, Hearts) and Skifree, I remember The Incredible Machine 3 (which was basically a Windows 3.x port of TIM2 for DOS).
    A few games work with the Win32s environment:
    https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_Win32s_games
    Some of them possibly also required WinG.

    Oh, and the editor of Warcraft II could work under Win3.x via Win32s.

    in reply to: Anachronox (2001) #450
    Up
    0
    ::
    dr_st
    Participant

    Hm. Maybe I should buy Anachronox on GOG. I did buy Daikatana and Deus Ex, so this would complete my original ‘Ion Storm’ trilogy.

    in reply to: OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (2006) #449
    Up
    0
    ::
    dr_st
    Participant

    Oh yes, one of my favorite ones.

    I’ve played this game years ago and completed some of the missions. It was the first game I actually tried to consistently use an analog gamepad for. I think I’m reasonably OK at it, but far from good. I would love an excuse to go back and play it some more.

    Generally I found I enjoy arcade racing much more than accurate simulations that the Need For Speed series tries (?) to be.

    in reply to: Grand Theft Auto: III (2001) #448
    Up
    0
    ::
    dr_st
    Participant

    I support. I just finished the main campaign of San Andreas this summer. 21 years after having started it. I also agree that of all the trilogy I liked Vice City the best.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)