DJ_HiP

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: My retrobuilds/PC gaming corner #557
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    The other thing would be a CRT that can do 1600Γ—1200 resolution, but they’re BIG and I probably don’t have the space, so very much a nice to have and I can’t see me bothering to get one.

    Haha yes, we all want out 21″ CRTs back, but like you’ve said we’ve all quickly forgotten just how physically large those screens were!

    I look forward to you posting pictures of each quarter’s game running on one of your Retro beasts πŸ™‚

    in reply to: My retrobuilds/PC gaming corner #552
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    Incredible, you’ve got everything covered haha!

    Anything you are still looking to add or you’ve reached the peak and now just need to finish the backlog of games?

    in reply to: Windows XP Annversary Special Episode or XP Game? #511
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    I’m sure a special episode could be put together.

    Given how much crossover games had in supported OS it might be too hard to name a specific ‘XP’ game that everyone would agree on.

    Maybe in this thread we could come up with some topics to chat about that could form a podcast discussion, then see who we can invite in.

    in reply to: How we pick games for the next quarter #506
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    Ah! Watchful has just worked out that sub-forum was not setup right, it should be viewable now, apologies!

    in reply to: How we pick games for the next quarter #502
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    Great question!

    We have a sub-forum for upcoming games, but at the moment we’re only one game ahead in picking;

    You can see which games are listed here: https://windowsgameclub.com/forums/f/upcoming-games/

    As of this moment today, the game for the next quarter is ‘Unreal’ from 1998 πŸ™‚

    in reply to: SDcard to IDE/SATA? #495
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    Reading around it appears most recommend CF to IDE and using industrial CF cards at that.

    Plenty of posts on Vogons showing SD-to-IDE adaptors work, but speeds can vary widely.

    The other useful part of CF is plenty of PCI-Bracket mounted CF-to-IDE adaptors exist, so swapping the CF card is very accessible.

    in reply to: Anyone Down for Multiplayer? #486
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    Sounds neat!

    Not sure how it would go with the massive latency hit I’d take however πŸ˜€

    in reply to: My retro builds – original and after-the-fact #469
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    Yes, the Win98 USB driver that is hosted here https://www.philscomputerlab.com/windows-98-usb-storage-driver.html is excellent, covers basically all USB drivers so I’ve plugged in external HDDs, DVD, Keyboard/mice you name it.

    I do connect my Win98 machine to the network for file transfers, I have an Apache webserver internally which I copy files I’ve downloaded using my main PC onto, then with the Win98 machine just browse the local http site, works well and is much faster than copying to and from USB1.1 drives !

    in reply to: My retro builds – original and after-the-fact #464
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    Replacing the LCD in a laptop isn’t as hard as you think.

    Often the frame comes apart and there is a ribbon cable on the back of the LCD panel, which is usually just screwed in, so you never have to open the base of the laptop. (Of course every model varies, some are impossible or require the entire top section of the laptop to be replaced).

    The challenge is finding a replacement LCD panel!

    in reply to: My retro builds – original and after-the-fact #460
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    Nice!

    I’m debating how many of my systems I upgrade to SSD, but at the same time the quality of life improvement by moving to SSD means I can enjoy the original system without the massive wait time, just don’t have the time like I did as a kid!

    My XP system is already an SSD as the board supported SATA, but I’m currently looking at options for my various older systems.

    in reply to: My retro builds – original and after-the-fact #457
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    very nice, loving the Termaltake Xaser case on the XP machine!

    Somewhat envious of how many you have setup, even over a number of locations, far too many of mine are packed away!

    Have you kept all systems on rotational HDDs or gone the CF/SSD route?

    in reply to: Grand Theft Auto: III (2001) #445
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    For sure, and often on DGC people do check out the sequals (just sadly often the sequal ended up being non-dos).

    GTA3 appears to be about 18hours of main campaign length, or 40 ish hours to 100% the game. Vice City appears to be the same.

    So they would be both do-able in a quarter.

    in reply to: Grand Theft Auto: III (2001) #435
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    Yeah an interesting question, they are built using the same engine, but VC was certainly a little more polished.

    So, why not both? πŸ˜€

    in reply to: Star Wars – Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight (1997) #397
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    This was another excellent game in the series.

    There is also a fan HD mod to increase the quality as well https://www.moddb.com/mods/jedi-knight-remastered

    Great addition to the list Loomattic πŸ™‚

    in reply to: Workarounds for Modern Platforms #372
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    Software - Tail ViewGlide - Tail View

    in reply to: Workarounds for Modern Platforms #371
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    Software - In CarGlide - In Car

    in reply to: Workarounds for Modern Platforms #370
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    Ah interesting, I have not looked into the physics bug anomaly. I will need to try work out how to limit the Frame rate with nGlide or similar and see what difference that makes.

    In terms of looks;

    Software Rendering at 1024×768 vs nGlide (internally 640×480) upscaled to 1280×1024

    External Car Sofware vs Glide
    Software ExternalGlide External

    in reply to: Workarounds for Modern Platforms #365
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    Ok I worked out how to get nGlide working so I can run 3dFX and upscaling!

    Seems the GOG verison ships with a number of glide dll’s which are either buggy or not needed.

    I just deleted/renamed glide2x.dll (Glide2.60) and it was forced to use glide.dll (Glide2.11) and I now get the beautiful 3dFX logo and it runs at full resolution smoothy!

    Much nicer than software rendering.

    in reply to: Is There a Better Name? #359
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    It’s an interesting question, but I also think its just a name. You can make the club what you want it to be and hand selecting the games will keep it focussed on the era that makes sense.

    Given you have wanted to cover the rough 1997-2005 era it’s not going to be easy to find a succinct name like the MS-DOS era (which even that is a very wide scope).

    Chatting with a friend his idea coud be on your second idea, but play with the capitalisation.

    9xP Game Club.

    But it doesn’t really roll off the tounge quite as well Windows Game Club πŸ™‚

    in reply to: Workarounds for Modern Platforms #357
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    The GOG version runs well on my new XP box. πŸ˜€

    I’ve been playing around with the Software Rendering at 1024×768 vs nGlide. Still not sure which I like better.

    Am noticing more graphical glitches with nGlide however.

    in reply to: Rally Trophy (2001) #332
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    Nice!

    We still play a heap of Flatout 2, it’s at our annual LAN we host, so it would be great to check out an earlier Bugbear racing game.

    in reply to: First Impressions #262
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    Finally getting around to trying it out, nothing like 10 days before the end of the 3 month window haha.

    Amused by the first settings screen..

    Settings Screen

    Who advertises a setting as ‘Average Performance’ !

    in reply to: Battlefield Franchise (1942, Vietnam, 2) #150
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    Battlefield 1942 Demo was the first game I ran at the first LAN party I hosted at my high school!

    It was this and MOH:AA that were crowd favourites, given how many players you could get in a single match.

    Certainly later on all we played was the Desert Combat mod for BF1942 however πŸ˜€

    in reply to: Need For Speed franchise #149
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    Yeah I mulled over how to suggest these on the forums. (and most of these style of racing games).

    It is a huge period of Windows 9x gaming.

    I have my original box of NFSII:SE and used to always make sure I ran the nfs2sea.exe to get those sweet 3dFX graphics (bugs splatting on the screen anyone?!)

    We still bust out NFS3 Hot Pursuit occasionally, just a pity its limited to 4or8 player over LAN, but I’ve just discovered a mod which makes that 16 players?!

    in reply to: Interstate ’76 (1997) #148
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    Ah nice! I only ever played this to just roam around and blow cars up, I never attempted any form of campaign or story.

    in reply to: Logo Ideas #127
    Up
    1
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    Possibly B, but maybe have ‘Win’ as rew, and ‘dows’ as green? (I can see you were trying to line it up).

    Other thought, could it be done in 90’s MS Office Word-Art style, given how ubiquitious Word-art was around shops and offices at the time.

    in reply to: Half Life (1998) #114
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    Interesting crossover isn’t it πŸ™‚

    Maybe put HalfLife 1, 2 and 3 into the same episode?

    in reply to: No One Lives Forever [2000] #100
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    Wow, this game has a full active community behind it still!

    Welcome to Unity HQ

    Seems they have maps, upscale mods and patches, on top of the forum discussions and info:

    https://nolfgirl.net/Unityhq/forums/

    in reply to: Intro, outro / bummer audio #77
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    I always loved this track which played in Windows 98 ‘Welcome’ pop up. It wasn’t the startup sound, but it was a great 30s clip.

    Might be able to work that into something..

    in reply to: Unreal (1998) #72
    Up
    0
    ::
    DJ_HiP
    Moderator

    as long as we all play it in 3dFX as well πŸ˜€

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)